Saturday, April 25, 2009

These Things I Know Continued ......

I remember as a child being so thrilled with my family.


I was particularly thrilled with family reunions. I would get so excited to visit the family reunion in Raymond, Alberta, Canada, that I would hardly sleep for days after we arrived. I would do everything possible with my cousins.


I really felt great to be part of a group of people who loved each other.

I also loved the security and safety of Church and its programs.


I first remember having a testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ as a 7 year old boy running and skipping over the wooden logs that formed the parking lot of our stake center located at the Melbourne Ward in Houston, Texas. It was the lunch break between sessions of our stake conference and I was passing the time playing in the parking lot. I remember thinking as I hopped on and off the logs- “Wow whatever my parents and the people in the meeting are talking about I like! This is really a neat feeling! I am really glad to be here! This Church is true.” I remember feeling safe and good and secure and very happy and really loving my family.

I didn’t know what the feeling was but I knew I liked it. It felt like Heaven, or what I thought Heaven would be like.

That feeling repeated many times over the years as I grew up. I thought everyone felt that way too. I assumed that the feeling of love and happiness and faith in Heavenly Father was a right all children got to have. It all seemed so normal. I have never forgotten that feeling and how much I love it. For me it was always a very safe feeling that I could depend upon. I have come to count on this feeling still.

Twenty seven years later I was married to a wonderful and beautiful wife and delightfully had two little girls ages 7 and 4.


I wanted with all my heart to have peace, unity, love and understanding in our new family just as I had felt often as a child. I felt that if there was any way that I could get Heaven’s help to strengthen me and my family I might as well ask Heavenly Father to show me how, and then I would do it. I felt overwhelmed by the responsibility of raising a family of two beautiful girls, with their awesome talents, gifts and personalities! I felt a great responsibility to Heavenly Father to create in our home and family opportunities to feel the same undeniable feelings of love, truth and goodness I had felt as a child.

In my adult mind I wanted to influence these children to joyfully make decisions which would always lead back to Heaven. I knew my time of direct influence was short. I felt at the time that there were many distractions and disunifying forces impacting our family. I wanted to strengthen the love we felt for one another and for Heavenly Father. I felt that if we could feel for a few minutes everyday as a group the Spirit of the Lord that could come from prayer and scripture study that we could feel the love I felt as a child.

I also knew that the natural seeds of faith and testimony would grow of their own according and then I would not worry so much about every other of a million worries I carried in my mind and heart. If we could feel everyday the love of Heaven, I felt that we as a family would always return to that feeling throughout our lives no matter what else happened. I recommitted to the practice of personal, spousal and family prayer and scripture study and family home evening on a regular basis.

I continue this same feeling today almost a quarter of a century later
.





Our family has increased in numbers and we are all older.

I am so grateful for the blessing that come from the regular observance of this simple practice.
As I continue on in my life I continue to seek the blessing of prayer and scripture study. This is an essential part of maintaining a testimony, renewing faith, uniting the family, uniting a marriage, receiving Divine direction, being obedient to Heavenly Father, receiving Divine inspiration, receiving Divine help, communicating with Heavenly Father, receiving forgiveness, expressing gratitude and affirming my standing before Heavenly Father.

For me prayer is essential to living a happy life. I know that prayer works. I know prayers are heard and answered. I know that prayers bring the Holy Ghost in my heart and into my life. I know that prayers with my wife each night and morning help us to be unified and to be better people and to receive all of the other benefits of prayer. I know that family prayer brings all of the blessings that are promised. Some of the blessings of prayer include: receiving the Holy Ghost, (3 Nephi 19:9), receiving what so ever is expedient (D&C 88:64).

These things I know. I know other things too, but that is all for today.

10 comments:

Lisa and Doug said...

Do you know how much I love you?

Kage said...

Good job Dad. I like the photo journey too. That post was long-time coming, but worth waiting for.

There is a hyperlink option you can use for your two links. Highlight the text: CANADA or CHURCH and then press the icon that looks like a link in a chain and paste the code you want it to link to, in the box. It will appear as a color with an underline instead of that long text...just if you want to try it...

You did a valiant job raising us. Now that I have a 7 and 4 year old girl, I can't imagine how hard it would have been to try to wedge your way in and commit to such big gospel principles...

DTA said...

Thanks Kage,

I edited as suggested. Thank you very much.

All our love,

Dad

Linz said...

Wonderful wonderful post. I liked hearing about how you felt as a child. I feel like I have never see most of those pictures and they are so great.

(Thank you so much for the letter in the mail.)

DTA said...

Sending love from Naperville.

margo said...

Thank you DTA for that post. I felt exactly the same way growing up. What a gift our parents gave us. I appreciated hearing your feelings and about the things that you know....and know that I Know them as well. I love you big bro!

DTA said...

Margo,

I love you too!

DTA

CocoShirley said...

Dadddyyy. you really are the best. you made all of us kids feel that way through childhood as well. i learned how to recognize the spirit because of you and mom making sure it was present in our home and for that i am forever grateful. love you.
tell us more!!!

DTA said...

Coco,

It's all about love at home! Love you!

Dad

nymanzanita said...

Just wanted to comment on this post. I hope that it isnt innapropriate that I am commenting on such a "personal" blog post that was probably meant for your family, but I thought I would let you know how it touched me tremendously. I have followed Kages blog for a couple of years and dont even really know her even though we live a train or two away from eachother. Anyway...I am really thankful for the power of your words about prayer. They are such simple words that I have heard all of my life but they really hit me hard as I just read them. "For me prayer is essential to living a happy life. I know that prayer works. I know prayers are heard and answered. I know that prayers bring the Holy Ghost in my heart and into my life." Such a simple thing to do. Pray! I guess I need to wipe the tears off of my checks and then recommit myself to praying daily. Thanks for your testimony of prayer. Sandra